Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by Julie Wright

Just like I promised, I'm posting all my reviews from Land of Inheritance on this blog. (So hopefully you won't get too bored.)

Julie Wright is an excellent author, so I was excited when she said was willing to read an ARC.

The fourth and last book in the Out of Jerusalem series, Land of Inheritance, is a vibrant completion to a well written, poignant tale. This conclusion shows us a glimpse into the lives of Nephi and his family as they settle into the promised land. Heather Moore has woven the scripture into a reality I can believe happened. I feel like I got to know Nephi as he carved out the scriptures. I understood passages of scripture that I had never really acknowledged before. The prologue starts off with Nephi who wakes up to find that the ship he had built had been set on fire. The ship represented so much to the family that it was an immense emotional loss. Of course, the guilty arsonists were his older brothers Laman and Lemuel.

The first chapter takes us two years later where Nephi has scouted out a stone quarry where they can find the materials required to build a temple. The news of the temple creates a great degree of new resentment between the brothers, but much of it is kept in control until Lehi dies of old age. It is at that moment where Laman makes his move to try to take control over the family. Heather has shown the bitterness and anger that bubbles over in Laman so believably, that I truly can understand how it all might have happened.

The story follows Nephi fleeing with his family into the wilderness and the heartbreak over the ones he had to leave behind. Throughout the book I found myself impatient to turn each page to find out what happens next. I felt the pain and hope of each of the characters and loved the action sequences. I loved it. I’d give it twenty out of ten stars if I could. I came away feeling excited about the scriptures and feeling like I know the people who played such important roles in the history of these people.

One of my favorite facets of Heather’s writing, is that she includes so much from the female perspective. I can really relate to these women as they move through courtship, motherhood, and trying to keep the men from killing each other. Heather has captured the human element that is timeless, regardless of technology, geography, or race. She has made these people real to me because of how relatable they were to my own life. I cannot rave enough about this book and recommend it to anyone of everyone, male or female. If you want a satisfying read, this is the book to add to your library.

My favorite line in the book: “The writings of Isaiah are straightforward compared to females.”

No comments: