Saturday, May 30, 2009

2009 Best of State--I made it!

Below is a photo-journal of the 2009 Best of State Gala, for which my Abinadi book won the Best of State Award for Historical Fiction.


My husband and I . . . all gussied up.

On the drive to Salt Lake, we drove through a major hail storm.


We finally arrive at the Grand Ballroom at the Salt Palace. We only had to drive around the block once to find the parking entrance. I borrowed the dress from G.G. Vandagriff! It worked out perfectly.

Posing by the Best of State statue. No one took this baby home (hmmm, where are his clothes?).


Inside the ballroom. Our table was wa-a-ay in the back.


I was just settling in to eat my salad when they announced my category, first! It was in the program as somewhere in the middle. Oh well. I hurried up to the stage and stood by Annette Haws.



We left a little early, just in time to catch a parking security guy writing us out a ticket. What? We'd parked in an "employee" stall.


Back at home, forgot to take a picture of the full-length. You can't see it, but my toenails match my skirt.


One of my children was not happy that I had left. There's a real tear on her right cheek.



Close-up of the up-do! Well, it was kind of a side-do and was falling out at this point. I think there were about 30 bobby pins in there.


My Best of State takes its proud place with the 2007 and 2008 Whitney Awards.


Shoes off, need some chocolate!


THANK YOU, MY DEAR READERS! If you weren't buying and reading my books, I would not have a publishing contract, I would not have won this award, I would not have a totally cool medal, and my feet would not be (pleasantly) sore.



. . . miscellaneous . . . .
The blurb in the program about Abinadi.


The back of the medal has my name and title of book on it:



The official award certificate--I guess I'll get a frame.

26 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Heather, I'm so glad they chose to honor you in this way! You looked lovely and you deserve all kinds of praise.

I'm sorry your daughter was sad. :(

Heather Moore said...

Thanks, Tristi. My daughter was mad because she didn't want her brother to put her to bed. By coming back a little early, I saved the day . . . or the night.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Congratulations, you deserve it.

I should have an ARC of my BofM historical fiction to give you for a possible blurb,(If you like it) in august.

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

I loved all of the pictures. Sorry about the ticket and your sad daughter. You looked really wonderful!!

Maria Zannini said...

It sounded like a heck of a night. And what wonderful pictures! I felt like I was there.

It was so well-deserved, Heather.

Stephanie Black said...

Congratulations, Heather! I loved the pictures, and you look gorgeous!

Michele Holmes said...

Fun blog, Heather! Thanks for sharing the night with us. And you have my empathy with the ticket. On the way home from the Whitneys last year, my husband got a speeding ticket. It definitely put a damper on the festivities.

Nicole S said...

Congratulations. What an honor!! And very well deserved! I'm so happy you documented this as it will be so nice to always have a record of...however, I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more of these types of events to come for you. Best of luck in everything. Nicole Sorensen

Annette Lyon said...

What a great night--and great pictures! The couch shot is awesome (probably what people think an author's life if like on a daily basis though . . .)

The parking ticket was the icing on the cake. Too funny.

Brought me back to my night when I got the medal. Now if I can just get a Whitney or two to go with it . . . :D

Laurie LC Lewis said...

What a wonderful night to remember. I bet it makes all the bad days just fade from memory. Two Whitney's and a Best of State. . . You must wait until everyone leaves the house and then run around and just scream with happiness! That's what I'd do!
Congratulations!

C.J. said...

You look wonderful--what an honor.

Fiauna said...

I hope you soaked in all the glory of the night's events.

Congratulations. You deserve it!

Heather Moore said...

Thanks everyone!! Michele, I can't believe you guys got a speeding ticket :-( I was cleaning up and cut my finger pretty good. I drove home wondering if I should be going to get stiches. But I survived ;)

Kellie said...

Congratulations! That is awesome and you totally deserve it!

Rebecca Irvine said...

You looked lovely! Congrats for the well deserved award!

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

So, so cool, Heather! Fun pictures. A million congrats. :-)

Sandra said...

Wonderful, Heather! Thanks for sharing with us. And thanks for writing for us as well.

Nikki said...

Congratulations!! Your book so deserves it!!

Diony said...

Heather, how exciting for you! Congratulations!

Janet Kay Jensen said...

Wonderful! Congrats again!
JKJ

Unknown said...

Chiming in late, as usual these days, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That book is really something extra special. So happy for you, Heather. Well deserved. And they should have paid you to park there, being one major winner and all :-)

* said...

What an honor! (and not only are you a great writer but you are beautiful gosh darn it, some women get all the luck!!) ;)

PS: I love the "shoes off, need chocolate" picture. It says it all!

Congrats again to you!

Karlene said...

Congratulations! That's just great. :)

Janette Rallison said...

So cool! Sorry about the ticket though.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Looks like you really revelled in the experience. Congrats again!

Rachelle Christensen said...

Wow! You are so amazing. Congratulations on another great win. Abinadi is in my pile of great books to read. :)